Monday, January 24, 2011

Today I Was Forced to Think...uh oh...

So today at school we learned a little about Columbine and a lot about the first girl killed in the Columbine shooting, Rachel Scott. Some representatives from Rachel's Challenge talked to us about how they are making Rachel's voice heard, even now that she's gone. Basically, Rachel's Challenge calls for us to be kind to others and be grateful for those in our lives. That's not all of course, but if you want more information you can go here ---> http://www.rachelschallenge.org/. So, anyway, it made me think. A lot of what we were told was that she wanted to make a difference. She didn't want to be ordinary or average, she saw herself changing people's lives. Obviously, Rachel's dreams came true because she's inspiring so many people (including Chuck Norris, hold the jokes) to start a chain reaction of kindness. Her story absolutely inspired me!! It was a little depressing but it made me...think.
First, Rachel stood up for the underdogs. The kids that people thought weren't good enough. We all should do that. Make people feel accepted. Why? Put yourself in those kid's shoes. Not having friends, felling self-conscious, insecure, and all you want is a friend to talk to. I'm not say we should make friends with everyone we see but we can all use a few more friends. Be nice to other people, that's something I think we can all do.
I started to think about who I want to be and the people in my life that will help me get there. I ultimately want to be a writer, and possibly a teacher. It just doesn't seem like enough though. I want to be an activist for peace. Whoever reads what I write, I went them to be inspired. I want them to feel like they can make a huge difference, even if it's just something they think of as small. That's what Rachel wanted to do. Writing is the only thing I know how to do that I think can really reach out to people. I knew what I wanted to write, but I never knew what. Then i thought about it. Why would I influence people with negative thoughts when I can inspire!!
I also thought about how much i'm inspired by people, even when I don't realize it. I want to thank you all for inspiring me to do what I do. I love everyone. I used to say I love everyone until they give me a reason not to but i realize that's not fair. Sometimes people are having a bad day, or dealing with something I have no idea about. So, I love everyone. There's good in every single person and great potential to inspire.
Be like Rachel, refuse to be considered average. You're not and all you need to do is work a little harder to be heard. Thank you Rachel Scott for inspiring me today, and everyone else I know or meet for inspiring me every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment